Thursday 28 February 2013

Studded Tassel Necklace



After digging out a bag of square studs for the easy stud necklace I posted previously, I was itching to do something else with some of the studs I had left!

I ended up making this short necklace, inspired by some Japanese street fashion photos. A lot of the stylish and adorable people snapped were wearing necklaces that looked like all kinds of non-necklace things: curtain ties, upholstery tassel, even doll parts!

Remembering the tassel braid left over from when I recovered my bedroom stool, I pulled this necklace together over the space of a few minutes!

The construction is very easy and requires a few basic stitches and a few basic jewellery-making techniques. Anyone can do it!

 


You’ll need:
1 x 6 inch tassel braid or similar
2 x 6 inch lengths of chain
4 x jump rings
2 x split rings
1 x clasp (I used a lobster clasp and a third split ring)
Metal studs of your choice (Optional! I used 8 square ones)
Thread to match the braid
Glue OR fray stopper

Tools:
Needle
Scissors
Wire cutters
Flat nosed pliers
 


1. Cut the chain and braid to length and glue the ends of the braid to prevent it from fraying. I folded the corners into the back slightly so no glue would show on the front.



2. Stitch a split ring to each upper corner of the braid.



3. Use a jump ring to attach a length of chain to each split ring.



4. Fix the clasp onto the opposite ends of the chain using more jump rings.



5. Optional: Attach the studs: push them through the braid and carefully push the spikes down at the back.



6. Style it up and show it off! Worn here with my nifty second-hand shawl and my refashioned

Of course, you don’t need to include the studs: you could sew on some gems, attach rhinestones, or leave it plain! Alternatively, you could sew small embellishments to the bottom of the braid--how about some tiny bells, or small coin charms?

Will be sharing this post at the awesome link parties listed below!

2 comments:

  1. Now that's a quick craft! Way to use what you have on hand in a new way :)

    Thanks so much for linking up,
    <3 Christina @ I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newest follower here! I found you through the six sisters' stuff blog hop :) You have a super cute blog, I can't wait to read more. You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...