Thursday 19 December 2013

Wardrobe Revolution Update

Just over a month ago, I posted about Wardrobe Revolution. (You can join me and set yourself any clothes-related challenge you want!)

For me, the challenge is about wearing more of the 90% of my wardrobe that doesn't get worn, and also to make more effort with my outfits.

I've been instagramming pictures along the way (you can find them under the #wardroberevolution tag) and here are some of my favourite outfits so far. Also beneath the jump, my observations on figuring out new outfits and also how I'm cutting down.


Plaid Top: Handmade
Shirt: Holly & Whyte by Lindex
Kilt: Charity shop
Socks: Matalan
Belt: Retro (from my mum)
Necklace: Handmade
Rings: Vintage/gift

The plaid top is the one that I made for Design 1o1. I wrote a litle about it on my first Wardrobe Revolution post, and have since sewn black bias binding to the arm holes.



Shirt: Charity shop
Bodice: Retro
Skirt: Handmade
Socks: Primark
Necklace: Gift/New Look (I shortened it)
Shoes: Dr Martens (via TK Maxx)

The bodice is one of my new prized items! I wasn't going to buy more clothes, but I went to a retro warehouse kilo sale with my Dad at the end of November. Whilst Dad hunted for western shirts, I rummaged and found this top, two dresses, and an underskirt, which worked out at £17.70! 
Considering that it's a Tracht bodice from Germany, and that I've seen them on ebay for £30+, I think I got myself a bargain :)
The skirt is one of the first more involved things I sewed with my sewing machine.


Longsleeved Tee: Lipstick Prophets (from my middle sister)
Dress: Charity shop
Belt: Charity shop
Pompom necklace: Handmade
Ankh rosary: Handmade
Other necklaces: Gifts
Paper flower hairclip: Handmade

 The top has a gold skull print on it. It's really awesome and flattering!


Jacket: Charity shop
Shirt: Holly & Whyte by Lindex
Skirt: Handmade
Socks: Primark
Fringe Collar: Handmade
Tassel necklace: Handmade

I really like how this outfit turned out. I nearly got rid of the skirt a while ago, but I'm glad I didn't!


Jacket: All Saints (via TK Maxx)
Shirt: Charity shop
Ruffle: Handmade
Belt: Retro (from my mum)
Trousers: Claire.dk
Necklace: a gift
Armor ring: Gina Tricot
Other rings: Party shop, charity shop

Trousers! I tend to wear trousers more than anything, but these usually languish in the wardrobe as I have to wear shoes with them, due to their length. However, they look great with heels!


Waistcoat: Handmade
Shirt: Charity shop
Black skirt: Charity shop
Underskirt: Retro
Faux fur collar: Charity shop
Belt: Retro
Socks: Matalan
Shoes: Hush Puppies
Necklaces: Handmade
Brooches: Charity shop, antique fair

I love this waistcoat, to be honest it's something I wear often but it finished off this outfit nicely. Unfortunately the velvet is coming out of the bias binding and fraying, so it's looking a bit sad.
Not really sure what to do about that, short of unpicking all the binding and redoing it (which I don't want to do as the fabric is likely to fray more).


Shirt: Matalan
Vest top (worn underneath): H&M
Skirt: Handmade
Belt: Handmade
Fringe collar: Handmade
Spoon necklace: Handmade
Rosary: Antique fair

Mixing up patterns is one of my favourite things to do :)


Shirt: Primark
Vest top (worn underneath): Primark
Skirt: Handmade
Belt: Dorothy Perkins (from an old dress)
Necklace: Handmade
Shoes: Primark

I like this skirt :)  The pompoms are removable, though I like to leave them attached as they're fun!
Felt surprisingly stylish and fashionable in this outfit!


Shirt: Charity shop
Skirt: Handmade
Necklace: Handmade

This skirt is on my 'to alter' list as it's 2-4 inches too long (I made it to wear with platform boots...)
I'm probably wearing leggings underneath it, as the fabric is quite thin for winter. 


Dress (worn as top): Matalan
Skirt: Charity shop
Necklace: Handmade

This was a really experimental outfit and I only put the dress and skirt together as they were hanging side by side in the wardrobe. Surprised and pleased with how it turned out. 


Figuring Out the Outfits:
  • Put together several outfits in advance and hang them together in the wardrobe.
  • Look on Pinterest for ideas for those hard-to-coordinate items.
  • Accessorise to change the look of similar outfits.
  • Try coordinating garments you wouldn't normally put together.
  • Don't feel disheartened if an outfit ends up making you look like a sack of potatoes. Try coordinating the pieces with something else instead!  
  • Browse fashion magazines for inspiration.
  • Keep notes of how you feel in an outfit and what can be done to improve that.
  • Also take notes of basics you discover you're missing (in my case, that was knee-high black socks). 

How I'm Cutting Down:
I'm not doing a huge amount of cutting down, but this is what I'm turning out and donating:
  • Anything that doesn't fit and can't be altered.
  • Anything unflattering goes.
  • Anything I don't like.
  • Anything I'm seriously unlikely to wear ever again.
My turning out is happening little by little. After my initial sort-through of my wardrobe, I let my sisters have a rummage through my cast-offs, then donated the rest. Since then, I've only found two items that I'm turning out. I like both items on the hanger, but one has a strange fit and the other makes me look fat! 
Undoubtedly there will be more cast-offs along the way. I'm umming and ahhing over a pair of jumpers (same design, different colours) but will make a decision on that once the weather turns colder. 


What's Next?
  • Going through my wardrobe and re-evaluating everything again.
  • Ditto my accessories drawer.
  • Trying to work in more accessories - notably scarves, as I have way too many!
  • "The Week of the Scarf" - 7 outfits incorporating scarves.
  • "The Week of the White Shirt" - 7 outfits incorporating white shirts.
Watch this space to see if I actually do this stuff ;)

1 comment:

  1. I love your style and how you put things together that I wouldn't anticipate, yet they come out looking really fun and interesting and fabulous. I am blown away by the trousers and ruffle outfit especially. It's the ruffle I think. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...